Creamy Vegetable Soup


I used to only make croutons on special occasions but now the boys usually put in an order for a bowl of croutons to accompany their soup almost every time I make soup (which is about once a week). I generally give in to their food orders, once they aren't too outrageous, as I am much more content when I know they have eaten a good filling meal. Also, I find it very fulfilling when I have three boys at the table who are really enjoying what they are eating. I simply love to cook and when that cooking is appreciated I never feel like my time spent in the kitchen is wasted.
Generally, I don't stick to exact quantities of veg and use a combination of whatever veg I either have in the fridge or garden. I have been using thyme in my soup recipes as it is the only herb in my garden which has lasted through the tough winter.


I love to use fresh herbs in cooking. For this soup, I used thyme but 
you could also use rosemary or marjoram or a combination of herbs.


Fionn helps to prepare the veg!!



Creamy Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
25g butter
5 carrots
1 small parsnip or half large parsnip
1 onion
The white part of 1 leek
1 large potato
125g mushrooms
2 sprigs of thyme
1 knorr vegetable stock pot, dissolved in 600mls boiling water
Freshly ground pepper
120ml milk
60ml cream

Method
1. Prepare the veg to equal sizes.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the veg, thyme leaves and some freshly ground pepper.
3. Cover with a butter wrapper or a square of grease-proof paper and the lid of the saucepan.
4. Sweat over a gentle heat for about 10mins.
5. When the vegetables are soft, but not coloured, add the boiling stock and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft.
6. Puree the soup with a hand blender or food processor.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
8. Stir in the milk and cream.
9. Garnish with a swirl of cream and a few croutons.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely & Creamy

Unknown said...

I have made veg soup before but never thought of including leeks, knorr stock pot and milk so the addition of these ingredients really made the difference! Kids loved it.